Standup paddle boarding (SUP) is an outdoor recreational activity that can be enjoyed on any type of water surface — whether you’re paddle boarding in an inland lake or in the high seas. Paddle boarding not only provides an enjoyable experience, but it is also a great way to stay fit. Standup paddle boarding equips you with a proper overall workout, using strength and balance to ensure you remain upright in the water. The intensity levels of paddle boarding will vary depending on the location. Oceans take up more energy as you battle waves and ocean currents. Drifting in placid lake waters will not be as highly intense.
Benefits of Standup Paddle Boarding
SUP has several benefits related to an all-round workout. Almost every muscle is used to provide you with a great core workout.
- Leg muscles are hard at work to maintain balance, helping you work these muscles effectively.
- Paddling also utilizes back, shoulders and arms to maintain your balance.
- SUP is a low impact workout, so you’re unlikely to damage any muscles, while still working on them.
- SUP is valuable for runners that experience hip and knee pain — it burns the same amount of calories, but doesn’t cause any damage to your joints.
- Improves all-round fitness levels reduces the chances of a stroke or heart attack.
- Doesn’t harm your body, but will still improve you cardio fitness.
- Helps people lose weight — reducing the chance of a stroke, diabetes and joint problems.
- Helps relieve stress — for the body and the mind.
- SUP helps improve your balance — in every aspect.
SUP and Yoga
SUP is a great choice for people who want to be in the water. If you are looking for a way to relax in the water, you may want to try SUP yoga. It is soaring in popularity because of its immense health benefits and pure pleasure. This new fitness activity brings an additional element of balance — it is both challenging and fun for people. This form of yoga in the natural outdoors can be far more relaxing and pleasant than being cramped in fitness studios and loud gyms. The combination of water and sun will enhance the yoga regime to give you a far better experience than you ever imagined possible.
Consider the idea of getting on a stand up paddle board — you’ll find yourself much more fit relaxed and stress free.