Table of Contents
- We Reviewed the Top 8 Stand Up Paddle Board Roof Racks For Cars and SUVs.
- Buyer’s Guide To Stand Up Paddle Board Roof Racks
- Stand Up Paddle Board Roof Rack Product Reviews
- 1. FCS Premium Roof Rack
- 2. Yakima SUPDawg Rooftop Mounted Stand Up Paddle Board Rack
- 3. Thule Hull-a-Port Pro Rooftop Kayak Car
- 4. Block Surf Roof Rack
- 5. Thule 810 Roof Rack Stand Up Paddleboard ( SUP ) Taxi
- 6. Dorsal SUP Roof Rack Tie Down Straps
- 7. OrionMotorTech Universal Soft Rack
- 8. Soft Rack Lockdown Premium SUP Board Car Rack by Curve
- Final Thoughts on Stand Up Paddle Board Roof Racks
- Checkout Our Standup Paddle Boarding Product Reviews!
We Reviewed the Top 8 Stand Up Paddle Board Roof Racks For Cars and SUVs.
Transporting your paddle board is daunting but necessary if you plan on having fun in the water. Stand up paddle board roof racks for your car will ensure your equipment is safe and easy to carry with you.
For this reason, we’ve looked into the best roof racks for your car or SUV, and we chose the top eight for you to review.
Buyer’s Guide To Stand Up Paddle Board Roof Racks
Before we jump into discussing our favorite brand and models. Let’s take a look at some pre-purchase considerations. While there’s a lot to learn about roof racks. I want you to think about the following features when you’re browsing these items online.
You must consider whether the roof rack will be compatible with your car. Some models fit onto roof racks that already exist on the vehicle, while others only work with specific systems.
Before you buy, check with the brand to find out if your racks will fit on your vehicle. Many also offer compatibility charts to make the job easier for you.
Most roof racks can carry two paddle boards, but it’s not always a rule. So, if you’re planning to have an activity with a partner. Make sure the carrier can fit two boards. If you go over the rack’s capacity in width or weight. You are risking the safety of your board.
Soft vs. Hard
If your vehicle comes without a roof rack, go for a soft frame. It’s also easier to set up and remove. Making transportation more efficient. However, they’re a bit less secure.
On the other hand, hard racks tend to work only with vehicles with pre-installed roof racks. They are sturdier but more challenging to install and remove.
Some roof racks come with sturdy lock systems to safeguard against slipping and theft. Also, soft frames are typically less secure than hard ones.
Think about the places you want to go and the level of security that will make you feel at ease and choose accordingly.
Paddle boards can be quite heavy, and loading one on top of a tall car can be a challenge. Some roof racks come with easy-loading systems which makes it less likely to cause injury or damage to the board or to you.
Stand Up Paddle Board Roof Rack Product Reviews
- Fits most cars, vans, SUVs/4WDs, etc.
- Holds 1-6 shortboards, 1-4 longboards.
- Square non-rolling pads.
FCS Premium is small and compact. Making it perfect for those who want to use their paddle board often. You can even fold it up into a bag for more accessible storage!
This soft board rack boasts a D-ring system that reduces failure. Most users have found that the straps are easy to set up in a matter of minutes.
- Large capacity
- Easy to install
- The straps let water in your car
- CARRY 2 SUP/SURFBOARDS: Comes with everything needed to carry 2 stand up paddleboards or surfboards (including straps and SKS locks); Slider adjusts to fit boards up to 36" wide
- FITS MOST CROSSBARS: Compatible with Yakima round, square, factory and aerodynamic crossbars; Minimum crossbar spread of 24"
- EASY TO LOAD: Integrated rollers ease the effort of loading oversized SUP boards; A strap management system stows strap ends during travel
Yakima is sleek and glossy roof rack making it look fashionable on top of your car. It comes with all you need and it’s a breeze to install without any tools.
You will enjoy a system for easy loading and the ability to pad around your board. Which is great for protection and preventing damage from transporting. It’s a bit more costly than most but if you ask the users of this product. It’s quality justifies the price.
- Attractive design
- Soft padding
- Easy loading system
- Can be noisy
- J-style kayak carrier creates more room on the load bar
- PFD lever (pull, fold, done)rapid folding and improved overhead clearance
- Accommodates kayaks up to 34 inches wide and 75 pounds
Thule Hull-a-Port Pro is a kayak carrier that people also use for paddle boards, surfboards and kayaks. The design boasts effortless equipment loading as well as a lever for quick folding.
You will receive two tie-downs and straps with protective buckles for safe transportation. Thule carrier are compatible with the Thule rack systems and round bars.
- Lever for rapid folding
- Easy to load
- Highly protective
- Not compatible with all vehicles
- Used mostly with Kayaks
- Universal Fits Cars and SUVs w/no Roof Racks: straps to and tightens around your roof, and around your surfboards
- Holds 2-3 Surfboards: depending on size/thickness, including thrusters, longboards, wavestorms, fish and more
- Up to Highway Speeds: heavy duty straps and buckles to secure your surfboards while you're chasing the waves
The most significant selling point of the Block Surf roof rack is that it’s universal. It works with all vehicles, regardless of the pre-existing roof racks. It can also pack two to three SUP boards.
The rack is easy to install and uninstall. It comes with heavy-duty buckles and straps to keep your board safe while you’re hitting the highway.
- Can carry multiple boards
- Easy to set up and remove
- Users found it loud
- Lets water in the vehicle
- Equipped with new Speed-Link mounting system for convenient, tool-free mounting to Thule rack systems, round bars and most factory racks
- Exclusive, telescoping design delivers a custom fit for board widths up to 34" wide
- Heavy-duty, steel reinforced webbing and spring loaded locking cam provide unsurpassed security for your boards
The Thule 810 roof rack brings a heavy-duty carrier capable of carrying two boards at once and locking them up so you don’t feel insecure while driving. The pads are water-resistant and soft. Also with webbing metal areas which gives you the best of both worlds.
Customers of this product get a limited lifetime warranty with Thule. For many that have used Thule for car stand up paddle board roof racks. Believe it is worth paying the slightly higher price-tag.
- High-quality build
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Two locks
No products found.
Dorsal brought easy-to-use high-quality paddle board straps to replace any contraption you struggled with before. The straps wrap around the boards and the frame of your car. This means that you will have your board flush securely against the roof .
The straps can also be locked inside your vehicle which makes it stronger for safety reasons. Dorsal straps fit any car no matter the size or shape.
- Thin, long straps
- No drilling to your car
- Questionable quality made some customers uneasy
- Universal car fitment & adjustable, fit most of vehicles with or without gutters
- With a heavy load capacity, the roof rack can hold luggage over 165.3lbs
- Equipped with ultra-long straps & aircraft buckles to secure luggage, safety & strength guaranteed
This car rack is adjustable and fits most types of vehicles. It also comes with a high load capacity of up to three boards and the strength to hold up to 160lbs.
The OrionMotorTech Car Rack also features long straps and durable buckles for securing your gear. It is well know for safety, being soft, and not likely to damage your SUP Board or car during loading and offloading.
- High capacity
- High-grade safety equipment
- Anti-vibration feature
- The straps sometimes break
- 💪 LOCKDOWN patented Curve 'lockdown' system uses a revolutionary single loop to 'cocoon' around surfboards and secure to your vehicles roof. This eliminates usual problems of surfboard lift, slide...
- 🙌 PADDED 1" foam padding provides cushioning between surfboards and vehicle roof, with a soft inner neoprene lining for maximum surfboard protection
- 🛌 RAIL PROTECTION 1" foam extends to cocoon around surfboard rails and prevent strap on rail damage
This model will work with almost every existing care vehicle roof. Curve patented a cocoon system that makes this possible. There’s a loop around the board rails which locks the equipment down to the car top.
Besides being universal, it can carry two paddle boards at the same time. Also, when you’re not using it. Simply keep it in a bag that comes with the package.
- Easy to store
- Innovative security method
- Not easy to mount
Final Thoughts on Stand Up Paddle Board Roof Racks
We must say that FCS Premium takes home the gold for best stand up paddle board roof racks. The main reason for our decision is that it shows the least failures and the highest functionalities based on 4 to five star reviews .
You spent a lot of hard-earned money on your paddle board. Now it’s time you enjoy it safely as you transport to the water destination of your choice. Any of these systems we suggested will get you on a body of water quickly and without stress.
Enjoy Your SUP Adventure!
Did we missed anything ? Let us know if there are stand up paddle board roof racks that you like or has worked well for you.
Checkout Our Standup Paddle Boarding Product Reviews!
- 10 Best Inflatable Standup Paddle Boards for 2020
- The Top 10 Must Have SUP Accessories
- 10 Best PFD ( Personal Flotation Device ) For Standup Paddle Boarding
- Top 8 Standup Paddle Board Roof Racks For Cars and SUVs
- The 8 Best Standup Paddle Board Storage and Travel Bags
- The Best SUP Gear And Apparel For Any Season
The SUP HQ ( thesuphq.com ) is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.