Table of Contents
- Best Guide On How To Get Started With SUP Fishing: Setup And Accessories
Best Guide On How To Get Started With SUP Fishing: Setup And Accessories
Do you want to know how to get started with SUP Fishing? Well let us walk you through all the accessories and setup needed to enjoy this relaxing hobby on the water.
Just so you know. Stand up paddle boards can be used for both paddling and fishing. Paddle board fishing is an interesting and popular activity for people who would like to get a different kind of fishing experience other than the way it is done traditionally on a pier or inside of a boat.
What is SUP Fishing?
SUP fishing falls under the category of active fishing methods. So, you’ll probably like this way of fishing if you like being on the water and have experience fishing. It’s worth noting that SUP fishing has many great benefits.
- Height Advantage for spotting fish in the water.
- Easier to get into tight fishing areas than traditional can not boats.
- Easier to transport your SUP board on the water than it is getting your boat to the water.
What is great about SUP fishing is that it provides a height advantage once you are standing on the SUP board. In other words, you have the opportunity to look down in places where fish are hiding. Plus, you can approach these hiding spots on a paddle board more quietly than on a boat.
You’ll find it a lot easier to fish on a SUP board than on a boat. With a stand up paddle board, you will get to your fishing spots quickly. A paddle board will make it possible for you to reach these tight to get to places easier than being on a traditional boat.
We all know that transporting a traditional boat or kayak to the water can take time and require a lot of caution during the transporting process. However, it’s a lot easier and safer to transport a SUP board to the water.
SUP Fishing Setup – Stand Up Paddle Board Types
If you are going to go out SUP fishing. You will first need the right SUP Board. There are different types of stand up paddle boards including Allround, Flatwater/race as well as surf. It’s worth noting that each type of SUP board has its own length, width, weight distribution and form.
Surf SUP boards are short and they have a narrow nose. The narrow shape of surf paddle boards allows surfers to maneuver on waves easily. On the other hand, SUP boards of this type are slower than others.
Allround paddle boards are wide and long. SUP boards of this type are versatile, so they can be used for multiple purposes. Allround SUP boards provide paddlers with good stability.
Flatwater/race SUP boards are designed for flat water. Boards of this type have a nose area as well as rounded sides. Flatwater boards go through water smoothly. It’s important to know that flatwater SUP boards are the perfect choice for stand up paddle board beginners.
Best SUP Boards For SUP Fishing
- BEST INFLATABLE STAND UP PADDLE BOARDS: SBBC offers the best All-In-One Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board Packages for adults to SUP with. Our unique designs, beginner-friendly shapes, Wax-Free...
- INFLATABLE PADDLEBOARD DIMENSIONS & RECOMMENDED RIDER WEIGHT: The 11’6 Hippocamp is 138" x 34” x 6”, and easily supports up to 450lbs. The 11’6 Hippocamp Fishing Paddle Board weighs 35lbs with...
- EASY & INCREDIBLY FUN SHAPES TO PADDLEBOARD: Wide, Rounded out nose for extra float, nose rocker for easier glide, Thick 6” Rails & Widened chest area for extra stability, pulled in rounded squash...
- COMPLETE PACKAGE - The Elkton Outdoors Inflatable Fishing Paddle Board come with everything you need along with your 12 ft fishing ISUP. The package includes a 2-Piece Adjustable SUP Paddle, Dual...
- BOARD SPECIFICATIONS - The inflatable board measures 12ft long, 3ft wide, and 6in thick. When deflated and packed-up, the board stores away compactly at 38in x 18in x 12in. When properly inflated, the...
- ROD HOLDERS & ACCESSORY MOUNTS - The Elkton Outdoors Fishing Inflatable Paddleboard come with 3 pre-installed rod holder and Accessory mounts and 2 adjustable rod holders. The mounts are compatible...
- Exterior: 12'6" x 40" x 6" / Deflated: 45" x 15" x 10" / Board Thickness: 6"
- Hull Weight: 45 lbs. (hull only), 48 lbs. (w/ motor mount). Capacity: 2 Person or 500 lbs.
- Material: 1000 Denier Reinforced Drop Stitch / Seam: Quadruple Overlap / Air Valves: One Way
- BUILT FOR EXPLORATION: Designed for the paddle board warrior, the inflatable SUP board features a hybrid nose for fishing, touring, snorkeling, spear fishing, or recreational paddling in all weather...
- 35% LIGHTER CONSTRUCTION: Weighs only 19.5 lbs when inflated and the extra wide stance ensures a stable and sturdy stand up paddleboard; soft EVA deck pad adds comfort for additional rider or dog,...
- READY TO SURF iSUP ACCESSORY BUNDLE: Ideal for all skill levels and water conditions, the set includes a PEAK inflatable paddle board, paddle, coil leash, high pressure pump, and fin; all fits in the...
- DOUBLE LAYER CONSTRUCTION–Inflated 12' long 34" wide 6" thick, maximum capacity is up to 350 lbs, stable and great for all skill levels and perfect for Fishing.
- ULTRA DURABLE - constructed with additional PVC layer of board rails are highly strengthened the board durability.
- SAFETY & CONVENICE - 34'' board width construction achieved amazing balance ability. 2 Function Kayak Conversion Kits easy transfer from ISUP AND KAYAK. Paddle holder system with fishing rod holder...
SUP Fishing Accessories Needed
You will also need to prepare all the necessary accessories for SUP fishing including the following:
- Life jacket or Personal Flotation Device
- Fishing Bag
- Paddle Board Seat
- GPS Tracker and GPS Holder
- SUP Board Light
- Cargo Net
- Long Sleeve Shirt
- Paddle Board Stabilizer
- Tackle Rack
- Waterproof Fanny Pack
- Fishing Cooler
- SUP Fishing Rod Holder
- Fishing Anchor
SUP Fishing Cooler
With a SUP fishing cooler, you’ll be able to keep your foods and drinks cold during your fishing trip. It’s crucial to pick the right size cooler for a SUP board. So, make sure the fishing cooler you choose will fit your stand up paddle board well.
Here Are Some of The Best Sellers For SUP Fishing Coolers
- Sport Type: Camping & Hiking
- PORTABLE COOLER: Whether you're kayaking out on the river, paddling your SUP on a calm lake, or soaking up the sun on the beach; keep all your perishables and supplies in one place with the Blackfoot...
- ATTACHES SECURELY TO YOUR KAYAK: This cooler's velcro bottom attaches securely to the infinite velcro adjust system on the floor of every Aquaglide Kayak
- LARGE and VERSATILE: With 9 quarts of storage, the Blackfoot Cooler can hold up to 24 12oz cans for those day parties! With loads of pockets and storage compartments, everything you need will be...
- All the fun of kayaking and stand up Paddle boarding combined in one - Made in USA
- Designed for flat, slow-moving and calm coastal water types
- Perfect for sharing the water with kids and pets.Adjustable Back
SUP Fishing Rod Holder
It’s hard to imagine a SUP fishing trip without a good rod holder, isn’t it? So, it would be in your best interest to pick the right type of a rod holder for your paddle board.
Make sure you choose a rod holder that will accommodate all types of fishing rods (short and long). It would be better to pick a rod holder with a safety trap as well. Thus, you can be 100% sure that your rod will never get lost.
Consider these three important aspects when obtaining a rod holder. You should try to pick a fully adjustable rod holder. In addition, you should aim to select a rod holder that will fit all types of rods and rail-mount systems.
SUP Fishing Anchor
Enjoying SUP fishing can be hard particularly if your paddle board is not equipped with an anchor. With a fishing anchor you will be able to stop your paddle board anywhere you want and keep it stable on the water where it is necessary.
When picking a SUP fishing anchor for your paddle board. You need to pay close attention to things like design and weight of your anchor. Also the length of the rope that is attached to the anchor. And of course, you need to make sure that your anchor can be easily folded for compact storage.
SUP Fishing Setup Examples
Tips for Successful SUP Fishing
- Always prepare for your SUP fishing trip in advance so you have all that you need when you are out there on the water and are not scrambling to find an accessory that you might need.
- Take advantage of the weather forecast ahead of time. You want to wear the right gear and bring the right accessories for rain or shine.
- Get familiar with your paddle board if you just purchased it before getting started with a SUP fishing trip. Make sure that your paddle board is safe when you get on and off it.
- Try to achieve balance in order to be able to cast and reel on a paddle board successfully. This will allow you to avoid falling overboard during a fishing session.
- Plus, you need to be 100% sure that your paddle board will paddle safely and ride smoothly when it’s loaded with all of your fishing gear.
- Pack all of your paddle board accessories and fishing gear the night before or a few days before your trip.
- Make sure that you take all the necessary fishing gear on your paddle board so you are not without the accessories that will make your fishing experience less enjoyable.
- Above all, you should take bottled water as well as snacks with you on your paddle board. This way you will have everything that’s needed to enjoy your SUP fishing adventure.
- Lastly, everything on your paddle board has to be well organized. Make sure that it will not take you too long to find all the necessary accessories on your paddle board once you are out on the water.
Final Thoughts On Getting Started With SUP Fishing and Your SUP Fishing Setup
It’s important to know that SUP fishing is all about having fun and a good time outdoors. That means that things may not go as planned during your SUP fishing adventure.
You must be prepared for the unexpected. You should also know what to do in case of an emergency should in the event something goes wrong. If you have all your boxes checked and have prepared yourself for your fishing trip. The only thing left is to go out, have some fun and catch some big fish for the day!
Let us know if you have gone SUP fishing for the first time or are experienced. What were some of the things you did or bought to make your SUP fishing experience a memorable and enjoyable one?
The SUP HQ ( thesuphq.com ) is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.
2 thoughts on “Best Guide On How To Get Started With SUP Fishing: Setup And Accessories”
Great article and nice setup guide! you mentioned gear that makes SUP fishing experience a memorable and enjoyable one. I have this great little addition I love that is made by some ingenious young men in Florida.
H20+ Livewell – takinline.com
Thanks Derek for stopping by. I’ll check out that gear you mentioned.