Last Updated on March 26, 2020 by Sam
Table of Contents
- 8 Best Places To Go Stand Up Paddle Boarding In Colorado
- Here Are The Top 8 Stand Up Paddle Boarding Destinations You Need to Check Out In Colorado.
- 1. Cherry Creek Reservoir
- 2. Big Soda Lake Reservoir
- 3. Union Reservoir
- Why Visit Union Reservoir?
- 4. Horsetooth Reservoir
- 5. Grand Lake
- 6. Lake Dillon
- 7. Glenwood Springs Whitewater Park
- Why Visit Glenwood Springs Whitewater Park?
- Conclusion To The Best Places to Go Stand Up Paddle Boarding In Colorado
- Checkout Our Standup Paddle Boarding Product Reviews!
8 Best Places To Go Stand Up Paddle Boarding In Colorado
In this post we will go over the best places to go stand up paddle boarding in Colorado. The state of Colorado is popular for its great landscapes and sceneries, which include some really great lakes. Little wonder the recreational sport of stand up paddle boarding is becoming ever so popular around it’s regions.
Here Are The Top 8 Stand Up Paddle Boarding Destinations You Need to Check Out In Colorado.
Cherry Creek Reservoir
Big Soda Lake Reservoir
Glenwood Springs Whitewater Park
1. Cherry Creek Reservoir
If you live around Denver and you’d like to be close to home, then the Cherry Creek Reservoir is the place for you.
Honestly, the views here aren’t as awesome as they are at other Colorado reservoirs, however, it offers 880 acres of water surface to express your paddle boarding skills on.
You don’t need to have your own paddle board at this destination, you can rent one from the Cherry Creek Marina, inside the Cherry Creek State Park.
You’ll be charged a fee to gain entry into the park, so you’d want to keep that in mind.
Why Visit Cherry Creek Reservoir?
- First, you don’t need to carry your own stand up paddle board when making this trip. You can rent one from the Cherry Creek Marina.
- With 880 acres of water surface, there’s more than enough room for you and your buddies to have all the paddle boarding fun in the world.
It’s close to the city of Denver.
Best Stand Up Paddle Board Rentals in Cherry Creek Reservoir Colorado
2. Big Soda Lake Reservoir
This is another popular option close to Denver. The Big Soda Lake Reservoir is a small, quiet lake, located close to the Red Rocks Park and Amphitheater.
You’d be interested to know that power boats are not allowed in this area, this means you won’t have any wake to contend with.
Rentals are made available at the Soda Lakes Marina to cater for your needs.
Why Visit Big Soda Lake Reservoir?
- I like the fact that power boats aren’t allowed, I assume you will too. Paddle board in peace!
- The lake is small, not overly populated. Some privacy will do you some good.
Best Stand Up Paddle Board Rentals in Big Soda Lake Reservoir Colorado
The Union Reservoir is located in Longmont.
Here, the crowds aren’t that intense and it offers you a great sighting of the front range.
A major plus of the Union Reservoir is that it’s one of the very few natural lakes in Colorado. Keep in mind that there’s a fee to use this reservoir.
You can rent a stand up paddle board from Rocky Mountain Paddle Board, just Incase you don’t have one.
Why Visit Union Reservoir?
- If you love nature in its untampered form, then you’d love Union Reservoir, since it’s a natural lake.
- You won’t have any crowd inconveniences here.
Best Stand Up Paddle Board Rentals in Union Reservoir Colorado
4. Horsetooth Reservoir
This is one of the most popular areas in Colorado as far as water sports are concerned. These water sports include jet skiing and powerboating.
Here, you will meet lots of fun loving people who come to have nothing but a great water experience.
This spot is perfect for you and your fellow fun loving water sport “addicts” to visit.
Why Visit Horsetooth Reservoir?
- It’s packed with water sport activities.
- Never a dull moment here.
Best Stand Up Paddle Board Rentals in Horsetooth Reservoir Colorado
- Inlet Bay Marina
- Harding Kayak Rentals
- Paddle Board @ The Comedy Overlook
5. Grand Lake
The Grand Lake is Colorado’s largest and deepest lake, trust me, SUPing on these waters will be quite an experience for you. Also, the view of the mountain surrounding the lake will blow you away!
Don’t forget to take pics when you get here, it’s an experience you won’t want to forget.
Why Visit The Grand Lake?
- It’s Colorado’s largest lake and the views are awesome.
Best Stand Up Paddle Board Rentals in Grand Lake Colorado
- Grand Lake Marina
- Mountain Paddlers
- Grand Lake Rocky Mountain SUP
6. Lake Dillon
Going stand up paddle boarding in this location is something you’d really enjoy.
It features really tall mountain peaks which does a world of justice to the Summit County’s scenery. The views are amazing and you’d want to share the experience with a friend or loved one.
Rentals are available at Frisco Bay Marina.
Here, the rules are simple – have fun, and put on a life jacket while you’re at it.
Why Visit Lake Dillon?
- The tall mountain peaks are not just breathtaking, they are somewhat inspiring as well. You could sit on your board and look at them all day long.
- Rentals are available for your conveniences.
Best Stand Up Paddle Board Rentals in Lake Dillon Colorado
- Dillon Marina
- Frisco Bay Marina
7. Glenwood Springs Whitewater Park
If you’re looking for something a lot more challenging than flat water paddling, then you need to come here and show them what you’ve got.
It is the first whitewater park built on the Colorado River, this makes it a very popular destination for locals and visitors.
Here, you have the chance to really test your paddling skills as the waters are a bit more tasking.
Glenwood Adventure company offers rentals and lessons (for those who want to sharpen their skills)
Why Visit Glenwood Springs Whitewater Park?
- This location is great for pro paddlers who really need the challenge to sharpen their skills.
- Being here inspires healthy competition among the paddlers.
Best Stand Up Paddle Board Rentals in Glenwood Springs Whitewater Colorado
- Glenwood Adventure Company
- Up Creek Rafting
8. Vallecito Lake
Vallecito Lake is sheltered in a secluded mountain valley, 8,000 feet above sea level and is one of the largest and most beautiful bodies of water you can find in Colorado
Vallecito, or “little valley”, in Spanish, is located in the Southwestern region of Colorado and is home to the Ute Indians. It is a perfect base for enjoying the four corners area and all the many wonders it offers.
This is a tourist favorite as far as water sports is concerned. You can paddle board or go power boating if you wish. Feel free to bring your board, and if you don’t have one, well you can always rent.
Besides paddle boarding, you can also engage yourself with fishing activities.
Why Visit Vallecito Lake?
- Well, it is one of the largest lakes in the state of Colorado. It’s really beautiful as well so you’d enjoy the scenery
- It offers you the opportunity to partake in fishing activities
- It’s a true home of several kinds of water sports, not just paddle boarding
Best Places To Rent Stand Up Paddle Boards In Vallecito Colorado
Conclusion To The Best Places to Go Stand Up Paddle Boarding In Colorado
The state of Colorado has many wonders to behold. The lakes and mountains make one of the best prime SUP destinations in America.
Checkout Our Standup Paddle Boarding Product Reviews!
- 10 Best Inflatable Standup Paddle Boards for 2020
- The Top 10 Must Have SUP Accessories
- 10 Best PFD ( Personal Flotation Device ) For Standup Paddle Boarding
- Top 8 Standup Paddle Board Roof Racks For Cars and SUVs
- The 8 Best Standup Paddle Board Storage and Travel Bags
- The Best SUP Gear And Apparel For Any Season